[D9, LE] The Difference Engine

Locations in space beyond the noted planets

[D9, LE] The Difference Engine

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:22 pm

The portly Duros struggled to keep up with Lord Rath's pace as they walked down the clean hallways from the hanger bay. Ashley didn't seem to mind, but her attention drifted sporadically. She was supposed to be on leave but had insisted on coming along for the ride.

"As you can see Govi, this station is well supplied and well-guarded. Your upfront fee has been transferred to your account. Your salary depends on results. You'll be comfortable here though."

He greeted the Massassi guards warmly and waited for Dr Hix to appear.
True Sith | Blade of Vengean | Dark Side | Massive | Nobody's Fool | Big Damn Hero | Monolith Mauler | Forge Master | Saber Savant
Wears: Armour of the First Wrath. Carries: Two customised lightsabers; utility belt with stuff.
Ship: The Terror Star | Sidekick: Lt. Ashley Hin | Powerbase: The Massassi
"A Sith chooses their own path, their own destiny."
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Re: [D9, LE] The Difference Engine

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:01 am

"So is there an Imperial Burger on site… or am I just going to have do without that?” the portly duros offered as he adjusted his holo-spectacle.
Head GM | Darth Chocolate of the Sith | Duelist
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:14 am

"I told you to fill up before we left." He waved a hand in irritation. "The kitchens are good, but you can place an order with the Quartermaster. I'm sure there's room to ship some in with the supplies."

As they reached the main lab section he nodded to the guards. "Make sure you wear your security pass Govi. My brothers here won't kill you, but any prosthetics will come out of your pay."
True Sith | Blade of Vengean | Dark Side | Massive | Nobody's Fool | Big Damn Hero | Monolith Mauler | Forge Master | Saber Savant
Wears: Armour of the First Wrath. Carries: Two customised lightsabers; utility belt with stuff.
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:47 am

He replied, “So I got you need a worlds class slicer like me, but what exactly am I going to be working on? Seems pretty off the grid out here.”

Doctor Hix arrived pleased with his presence.
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:02 am

Lord Rath chuckled. "Yeah. Off the grid. You could say that Govi. That's a pretty accurate description. Well, you should be flattered. This is a very special project."

As Hix arrived he gestured to her. "Govi, meet Dr. Hix. Doctor, this is Govi. You asked for the best slicer, and here he is." Looking back at Govi he continued. "You'll be working with Rakatan technology. Doctor Hix has been working on the integration of their force-machine technology into sentient beings. There have been some interface issues that she believes a skilled computer expert can resolve." The Duros didn't need to know she'd specifically wanted a member of his species...

"Doctor Hix, how is the project proceediing in my absence?"
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:46 pm

“Excellent, I took the liberty to procure extra test subjects, of the five, three turned out viable and now with this duros mind I am sure we can better glean the secrets that have eluded me. Thankfully a dissection of their enhanced brains has given me new insights into cybernetic brain enhancement and integration,” she said with a devious smile.

“I am thinking nano-machine technology and advanced augmented reality systems,” she mused.
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:17 pm

"So, in essence we could provide my warriors with Rakatan Enhanced Reality Implants?" He stroked his chin spurs. "That is extremely encouraging."

His attention turned to Govi. "Are you up to this challenge? The facilities here are like nothing else in the Empire."
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:00 pm

Govi considered it and said, "Why else would I come all this way?"
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:03 pm

A large hand clapped him on the shoulder encouragingly. "That's the spirit. You and Doctor Hix are going to do great things together."

Assuming she doesn't get distracted by dissecting your brain.

He returned his attention to Hix. "And what of the Artisan? What has it been doing since I spoke with it?"
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 pm

"I have no idea, it works when it wants to and at other times it seems dormant, taciturn like an artist," she responded.

"When it does work it sends messages of completing the Great Work but will not elaborate on what that is."
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:10 pm

He chuckled at her description. "I suppose I'll go and ask it directly then. Why don't you take Govi and give him the grand tour while I speak to our resident artist?"
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:11 pm

"Of course my lord," she replied and lead Govi off to show him his quarters.
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:28 pm

He spent a few moments in thought once they left. He recalled seeing the specs of the augmented reality module in Jo's shop, although he had been extremely sceptical. Still, if there was a chance then it was worth pursuing. Eventually he nodded and walked off towards the main lab. He thought the forge had grown a little bigger once again.

"Artisan. I have returned. What progress have you made?"
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:40 pm

The artisan now blessed with a vocal matrix replied, "I desire inspiration."
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:45 pm

Jo'ren blinked. Inspiration? His thoughts turned to Vowrawn's party and Tayana's art show. Artists huh? What could you do?

Reaching out he patted the machine as if it were an old friend's shoulder. "Then let me tell you a story. About killing a God."

With some small amount of creative licence he told the tale of how a handful of brave souls, led by Jo'ren Rath who had also done most of the work, had defeated the Emperor of the Sith in personal combat. He acted out his parts with fluid motions and sound effects. It culminated in the loss through explosion of his sacred weapon, his struggle to fight off the dark force powers of the Emperor. The explosive death. The glory of survival.

As his story ended he found himself in an unexpectedly contemplative mood. He pulled out the crystal he had salvaged, and the other lightsaber that he had made years ago but never used. It had belonged to the Sith that Thy one called 'Darth Jerkface' before Jo'ren had reforged it back on Nar Shaddaa.

"Fighting is my inspiration Artisan. Lightsabers are my tools. I'm reaching the limits of what it's physically possible to do with them. And even that wasn't enough at the end. I can fight like no other, like a god damned legend. But power over the force? That's gonna need some work."

The crystals, the hilt. He weighed them in his hands, lost a little in his thoughts. There was a time when he had thought of little else. He smiled, remembering the feeling of power as he wounded the Emperor. It slipped a little as he recalled the helplessness of being choked.
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:00 am

The Artisan replied, "Interesting, your tales are amusing for one that descends from the slaves. I shall incorporate it into my work."
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:11 am

He gave the Artisan a bemused smile and laughed gruffly. "Amusing huh? Well, I guess I'm glad I inspired you." A quick look around the device didn't reveal anything that would explain the comment. "So... What is it that you're working on now, exactly?"
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:15 am

"A masterwork of domination and destruction. A medley of violence distilled down to its essence. It cannot be rushed," the device replied.
Dapper Dog

Postby Lord Jo'ren Rath on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:22 am

"..." A large finger was raised and he opened his mouth as if he were about to ask a question. In the end he thought better of it.

"I see. That sounds perfect. So, do you have what you need to complete this masterwork?"
Lord Jo'ren Rath

Postby Dapper Dog on Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:26 am

"For now, but if you ever come upon a Geru'vikian kris-knife used in ritual dismemberment do bring it to me, I want to examine the cutting surface," the device responded.

"Preferably fresh from use."
Dapper Dog

Next

Return to Space